My Favourite Top Five 'Carry On' Movies!

Saturday 7 May 2016


Carry On, Movies, Dvds, Laughs, Funny, Favourites

Hi everyone!


I know it has been a while but I have just finished my last tutor marked assignment of the penultimate course of my degree. I thought I would do a little light hearted review of some of my favourite 'Carry On' movies. These movies remind me of growing up in a time when we were not so politically correct! (May I say not such a bad time!) 

So, the first on my list is......

1. Carry On Girls: This has the classic cast including, Sid James, Barbara Windsor, Joan Sims and Bernard Bresslaw. Full of innocent innuendo and funny gags such as swimwear full of itching powder, and scantily clad women falling on the 'Miss Fircombe'  beauty pageant stage, this proves to be an absolute 'Carry On' classic.

2. Carry On Cabbie: Again another classic and favourite even though it is in black and white ( unheard of these days) Not all the cast are in this one but Sid James and Hattie Jacques make a brilliant husband and wife team. He is obsessed with the efficiency of his cab company, whilst his wife couldn't care less. She eventually starts up a rival all female cab company unbeknownst to him. Comedy and capers ensue and all have a happy ending.

3. Carry On Again Doctor: This is a great 'Carry On' and nothing to do with the other Doctor or nurse films. The wonderful Jim Dale plays the aptly named Dr Nooky who is sent to the Beatific Islands in disgrace to oversee a local clinic. He has to take over from Sid James who is the resident so called 'Doctor' who has discovered a weight loss remedy. When back in England the capers continue. Great film with all the cast including love interest Babs Windsor playing 'Goldie Locks'. Fun, fun, fun with all the usual un-PC jokes.

4. Carry On Abroad: I have always loved this Carry On movie as I saw it when I was growing up. It reminds me of those early package holidays of yesteryear, the typical hotel, badly spoken broken English and of course the British weather that seemed to come with you! Set in 'sunny' Elsbels the fun begins with bad food attempted 'you know what' and bus excursions. All the cast appear in this one with lots of funny moments. Great all round Carry On.

5. Carry On Constable: This is the fourth Carry On and is in black and white, which does not detract from the classic feel of the movie. A rather young Sid James plays Sargent Wilkins in charge of the local police station which is understaffed due to flu.Cue three new recruits! The usual mayhem and antics begin with lots of innuendo. A great early Carry On


Well that's my five favourite Carry On movies. I think they still work today if taken in the spirit they were intended. In this day and age we all need to let loose and be so politically correct.

If you watch any of these let me know in the comments below and also what are your favourite Carry On movies?

No comments:

Post a Comment